Latest comments

  • It's alive!
    Lee
    Hi, any chance of you sharing your config code for this project.

    Read more...

     
  • It's alive!
    Lee
    Hi Danny, great piece on converting an Overlord to use an MKS Sbase. I'm replacing my Overlord MB ...

    Read more...

     
  • iHobby Expo 2008
    Alison
    Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed ...

    Read more...

     
  • Getting back into it
    online word Counter
    Everything is very open with a very cleaar description of the challenges. It waas really informative.

    Read more...

     
  • TiVo HD upgrade
    BHW
    I blog often and I really thank you for your information. This article has truly peaked my interest.

    Read more...

Cars

Cleaner air readings

Older engines get dirt and grime in the darnedest of places. Including immediately after an air filter. What we have here is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This particular one measures the temperature of the air as well as the amount of air going through the throttle body. There are three delicate sensors in this contraption. Above is the air temperature sensor with the dark amber bulb on the side.

Inside the barrel shaped body are two more that measure the air flow. These tend to get covered in dirt. This MAF wasn't so bad. Sure it had some dirt, but it wasn't bad. A very thin coating. I blasted it clean with copious amounts of CRC MAF cleaner.

While I had the air intake in pieces, I also cleaned out the throttle body with generous amounts of CRC throttle body cleaner followed up with multiple scrubbing sessions with a rag. I kept the rag over the hole that leads to the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve so that grime and chemicals couldn't get down there and potentially foul up the IAC. I didn't manage to grab a picture, but there isn't much to it. While the throttle body throat was dirty, it too wasn't super horrible. After cleaning, the brass butterfly looked mostly like brass again, and the interior aluminum throat of the throttle body was immaculate. I made sure to get all the surfaces both before and behind the butterfly. Well as much as my fingers could reach.

With that out of the way, I turned my attention back to the front skid plates. Try as I may, I simply couldn't get the seized and broken bolt out of the engine skid plate. No amount of PB blaster or hammering away with my impact driver did any good. So, I went to plan B. Drilled it out and retapped it. I also retapped the cross threaded welded nut in the frame. Everything was then put back on Kitty with brand new flange bolts. Pretty pleased. There is one broken bolt that vexes me, but it's fine. One of these days I'll clean up the skid plates and give them a shot of paint, but they are fine as they are for now.

I also removed both front fog lamps. The damaged drivers side fog light is more damaged than I figured. Salvageable, but it'll require more work than anticipated. Funny story, I noticed some dust falling from the cracked fog light when I get out from under the car. So I gently tapped it with my hands and gave it a good shake to get more of that debris free. The amount of salt that came flowing out of there was absolutely crazy. I guess its been broken for a while.

Lots more to do, but it's nice to get a few things off my to do list.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh