Latest comments

  • It's alive!
    Lee
    Hi, any chance of you sharing your config code for this project.

    Read more...

     
  • It's alive!
    Lee
    Hi Danny, great piece on converting an Overlord to use an MKS Sbase. I'm replacing my Overlord MB ...

    Read more...

     
  • iHobby Expo 2008
    Alison
    Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed ...

    Read more...

     
  • Getting back into it
    online word Counter
    Everything is very open with a very cleaar description of the challenges. It waas really informative.

    Read more...

     
  • TiVo HD upgrade
    BHW
    I blog often and I really thank you for your information. This article has truly peaked my interest.

    Read more...

Cars

New remotes

I picked up a new set of uncut transponder keys and remotes for Kitty. When Kitty arrived, we only had the one master key and one remote. Not ideal! Not that we make it a habit of losing items, but it only has to happen once for a mighty expensive dealer visit to be required. I didn't intend to have so many spares, but it was cheaper to buy them in a bundle of two keys and two remotes off of Amazon than it was to buy a remote and key individually. It took a bit of doing, but I managed to get the remotes programmed.

The image above is clickable, and are the instructions I received with the remotes. The problem with the above instructions, is that it assumes your Toyota has perfectly working switch gear and lock actuators. On a car that is 16 years old, yeah fat chance! I noticed that the drivers side door lock pull knob wouldn't go up and down all the way when using the automatic lock button. That didn't sit right with me. A quick search revealed that was indeed the problem. So, I went about looking for options, and there were many...

1. While using the auto door lock button, manually raise and lower the drivers side lock pull knob.

This should have worked, but it didn't for me. I tried this a few times.

2. Instead of using the auto door lock button, put the key into the exterior key slot on the drivers side door and use that instead of the auto door lock button.

This didn't work for me either.

3. Instead of using the auto door lock button, manually raise and lower the drivers side lock pull knob all by itself.

This worked for me! 

The first option really should have worked now that I think about it. It could be I should have been more forceful in moving the pull knob up and down and miss timed or flat out missed a cycle. But, hey I'm happy. My neighbors kids must have thought I was nuts as I was doing all of this while they were jumping on their trampoline.

Add comment


Security code
Refresh