Latest comments

  • It's alive!
    Lee
    Hi, any chance of you sharing your config code for this project.

    Read more...

     
  • It's alive!
    Lee
    Hi Danny, great piece on converting an Overlord to use an MKS Sbase. I'm replacing my Overlord MB ...

    Read more...

     
  • iHobby Expo 2008
    Alison
    Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed ...

    Read more...

     
  • Getting back into it
    online word Counter
    Everything is very open with a very cleaar description of the challenges. It waas really informative.

    Read more...

     
  • TiVo HD upgrade
    BHW
    I blog often and I really thank you for your information. This article has truly peaked my interest.

    Read more...

Cars

Getting a good idea of what's not there

There's been preliminary talk of what to do about Kitty. Before any of that talk gained traction, I figured I should get under the car and get a good assessment of how big that rust hole is without the rust itself hiding the damage. Last time, I assumed the hole would be about two feet long, and in some places three inches tall. I was almost right.

The hole ended up being two feet long and about 1 3/4in tall in some places. Still not good. The hole begins from the center cross member all the way back and over part of the rear passenger side end link bracket. The end link bracket weld on the inner portion of the frame wasn't good. The hole ate up about three to five inches of linear weld at least.

My approach was fairly simple. I laid down a plastic painters tarp under the car, grabbed a bunch of cameras, some safety gear, and a nice sturdy ball peen hammer. I hammered away at the rusted frame rail for about twenty minutes and talked to my cameras.

I'm no youtuber though, so it was a learning experience on how to setup a shot, lighting, and gear. Still, I managed to splice together a 5min clip and send it out to fellow gear heads for their input as well as to Eliza and her brother. The tentative plan is to donate the vehicle. Makes me sad, but that fate is probably better then going under my unskilled torch.

To buy time I coated the entire frame inside and out in Fluid Film. Luckily, I still had my tarp under the car, because Fluid Film likes to drip! I was generous in my application but only sprayed down the frame rails rear of the engine, the cross members, and the rear axle and suspension assemblies too. One can was just the right amount.

I did find another problematic thing sadly. The exhaust was replaced about a year ago. But, it wasn't done well. Instead of a flange being welded to the exhaust piping and then the exhaust being bolted to the cat, the exhaust piping was welded directly to the cat flange. So now you can't take it apart, you have to cut it off. Grrr... It also looked like whoever welded on the exhaust piping didn't clean and prep the area prior to welding and covered up their exhaust leak mistakes with a huge gob of JB weld. Ugh...

Add comment


Security code
Refresh